Thursday, March 3, 2016

That's So Ghetto: A Change in the Definition

The word ghetto has changed over time from a noun to an adjective. How many people know the true definition of the word anymore? I am sure you have heard someone describe a thing or an act as “ghetto”, but what does that even mean? The true definition of the word ghetto is a neighborhood where a group of like people lives exclusively (Wilson, pg. 18). That does not seem to match the known use of the word today. How did the meaning or view change? Is it the media, pop culture, discrimination? I am not sure this question will ever be answered. As a sociology major this change frightens me because it is obvious it is on a societal level. I am a white female who grew up in a rural area, but my education has allowed me to know the difference between the two. I believe this is also the difference between right and wrong and discrimination and acceptance.
            Even as I sat at work earlier thinking about what to write a coworker used the term ghetto to describe someone’s appearance. It is funny how when you are focused on something examples start to appear without even looking for them. In a professional setting of course I did not jump down her throat (although I really wanted too). At least with her I have seen her use this judgmental tone with any people and not just minorities. Probably not a good thing that her discrimination covers such an immense amount of people, but at least it is not just racial.  Being a very open person who wants to learn and do things the right thing I find people’s ignorance to be hard to handle sometimes. I am not saying I am perfect and have not judged someone before by many means; I would just like to think that my image of people is not based on ridiculous stereotypes. People may say being a white female give me no experience with this, but I think my understanding and my willingness to help change stereotypes should be appreciated.  Not all white people are the same and I cannot express that enough. Do I think the word ghetto will ever be commonly known by its true definition again? Probably not, but it cannot hurt to educate as many people as possible. I think that is exactly what Wilson is trying to do through his research and writings.
            I think evidence of ethnic ghettos show how the definition originated. Of course ghettos were used to cluster the Jews in Europe which was discrimination just as the blacks are pushed into ghettos in large Metropolitan areas, but other ethnic ghettos where different ethnicities that all seem “white” prove that people of different ethnic groups can live together as long as they appear the same. These ghettos were not in the same conditions and disarray as black or Jewish ghettos, which show the definition does not have to always be negative. On the contrary the dismantling of black ghettos and Jewish ghettos can prove how the new definition might have come to be. I think when people use the term ghetto as an adjective they mean possibly disheveled or unkempt. Of course this is not the case for everyone and some people truly just use it in the most ignorant and politically incorrect way possible. This reminds me of a skit on Saturday Night Live when Elizabeth Banks hosted and a group of girls talked about “how ghetto” stuff was. I have attached the link to this video with the warning that not all people feel the same way. You will notice that they actually say "Do you really mean in the Ghetto?" which shows the place versus a descriptive word.





            

2 comments:

  1. I cant agree more with your statement on ghetto being known as "unkept". It reminds me of my own personal experiences with people. As you walk past someone that either has saggy jeans, a dirty shirt or something out of the "norm" you see someone point to that person ans go "he/she is ghetto." I think in todays society especially, people need to find other adjectives to use if they want to be judgmental towards someone and not use the word "ghetto", out of context. This makes me think of the time Quentin Tarantino and when he was accepting an award for best original score and in his speech he said, "‘And when I say favorite composer, I don’t mean movie composer, thats ghetto. I’m talking about Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert. That’s who I’m talking about." That word is such a sensitive topic because were taking it out of context when that word should be explaining a neighborhood where a group of like people lives exclusively. Alot of people that use the word ghetto arent even educated on what the word even stems from. As a sociology major I firmly believe in educating yourself about something before speaking about it. Most people dont know the actually meaning of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post, Samantha. I can appreciate that you made this post out of a sense of worry and with the intent to enlighten others. Sometimes those sincere intentions are what help people open up their minds more than anything else. As for you being a white female and, therefore, your opinion not being accepted so easily in this regard, I think that it is unfortunate. However, it is a reality and I don't think that should ever stop you from seeking to enlighten others, which is why I'm so happy to see this post.

    ReplyDelete